- In this type of window, the shutter is capable of rotating about a pivot fixed to window frame.
- The frame has no rebate.
- The shutter can swing horizontally or vertically.
- Has two or more sashes that overlap slightly but slide horizontally within the frame.
- Suitable openings or grooves are left in the frame or wall to accommodate the shutters when are shutters are opened
- Casement windows are hinged at the sides.
- When fully opened, offer the maximum amount of ventilation.
- Operates like a hinged door, except that it opens and closes with a lever inside the window.
- The shutter consists of styles, top rail, bottom rail and intermediate rail.
- Depending upon the design, the frame can have additional vertical and horizontal members i.e. mullion and transom respectively.
- The panels may be either glazed, unglazed or partly glazed and are fixed in the grooves made in rails and styles.
- They are provided for the sole function of ventilation and not for the vision outside.
- The styles are grooved to receive a series of louvers which may be of glass or wood slates.
- The louvers re usually fixed at 450 inclination sloping downward to the outside to run-off the rain water.
- The windows provide light and ventilation even if closed.
- Such windows are recommended for bath, WC, workshops etc., where privacy is more important.
- Venetian shutters uses louvers which can be opened or closed. The louvers are pivoted at both ends in the frame and in addition each blade is connected to a vertical batten by hinge.
- These are provided at the corner of the room.
- Light and air is admitted from two directions.
- The jamb post at the corner is made of heavy section.
- Admit natural light and help distribute light more evenly throughout the room. Considered an energy saver feature.
- In addition to reducing the need to use electric lights, it can deliver warmth in the winter and cooling in the summer, minimizing the need for fuel-based heating and air conditioning. On winter days, the sun’s radiant energy can shine through a south- or west-facing skylight to warm interior surfaces. And in the summer, a ventilating skylight can promote air circulation by releasing the warm air that naturally rises.
- The opening for the window is made by cutting common rafters. The framework consist of trimming pieces, curb frames, bottom rail and top rail. The opening is treated with lead flashings to ensure water proofing.
- Skylights may be plastic or glass, fixed or operable, and made in any number of sizes and styles.