Where public sewerage system is absent, the building drainage is discharged into the Septic tank. It acts as a small-scale sewage treatment system helping in safe disposal of both black and grey water.
Few key points a plumber should follow with respect to septic tanks are:
- Septic tank should be located at an open place and as far away as possible from the exterior wall of the building.
- It should not be located in swampy areas or areas prone to flooding.
- It should be located in a place, which is accessible for cleaning.
- Design and layout of septic tank shall be done as per codes
- Septic tanks is a form of primary treatment and the discharge from the septic tank should always be connected to appropriate forms of secondary treatment like soak pit, dispersion trench, wetlands, biological filters , anaerobic filters etc