The purpose of the Emergency Evacuation Procedures is to establish minimum requirements that will provide a reasonable degree of life safety from fire and similar emergencies in Florida Atlantic
University buildings and structures. The Emergency Evacuation Procedures will be utilized to evacuate all occupants during a fire emergency. Failure to leave the building when a fire evacuation alarm is sounding is a violation of state law.
What conditions may warrant evacuation of a building?
- Bomb Threat,
- Hazardous Material Spill,
- Hostile Intruder,
- Utility Failure, etc
What should I know about the building evacuation plan?
- KNOW the evacuation plan of the building and where to find it. (Consult Building Safety Personnel)
- KNOW the location of all exits for the building.
- KNOW the locations of emergency equipment (i.e., fire extinguishers, pull stations,emergency telephones, etc.).
- KNOW the location of the assembly area outside the building.
- ASSIST and participate in fire drills.
What should I do when I hear a fire alarm, or get an order to evacuate without an activated alarm?
- TURN OFF ALL HAZARDOUS EXPERIMENTS or procedures before evacuating. If possible, take or secure all valuables, wallets, purses, keys, etc. as quickly as possible. • CLOSE all doors behind you as you exit.
- CHECK all doors for heat before you open or go through them to avoid walking into a fire.
- EVACUATE the building using the nearest exit or stairway. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- PROCEED to pre-determined assembly area of building and remain there until you are told to re-enter by the emergency personnel in charge.
- DO NOT IMPEDE access of emergency personnel to the area.
- INFORM Building Safety Personnel or Emergency Personnel of the event, conditions and location of individuals who require assistance and have not been evacuated
What should I do to initiate a fire alarm to evacuate a building?
- Activate Fire Alarm Pull Station Located At Various Places Along Exit Routes.