Few dis-advantages of forging are given as under.
- Rapid oxidation in forging of metal surface at high temperature results in scaling which wears the dies.
- The close tolerances in forging operations are difficult to maintain.
- Forging is limited to simple shapes and has limitation for parts having undercuts etc.
- Some materials are not readily worked by forging.
- The initial cost of forging dies and the cost of their maintenance is high.
- The metals gets cracked or distorted if worked below a specified temperature limit.
- The maintenance cost of forging dies is also very high.