Some common advantages of forging are given as under.
- Forged parts possess high ductility and offers great resistance to impact and fatigue loads.
- Forging refines the structure of the metal.
- It results in considerable saving in time, labor and material as compared to the production of similar item by cutting from a solid stock and then shaping it.
- Forging distorts the previously created unidirectional fiber as created by rolling and increases the strength by setting the direction of grains.
- Because of intense working, flaws are rarely found, so have good reliability.
- The reasonable degree of accuracy may be obtained in forging operation.
- The forged parts can be easily welded